Babel’s Blessing is a grassroots language school. We run low-cost evening classes in diaspora languages, and use the income from this to fund free ESOL classes for refugees and migrants.
We believe that language learning is about cultural exchange, community building, and a way for members of diasporic communities to reconnect with their/our heritage. We teach about politics, culture and history through language as it is spoken – valuing functional communication, street language and varied accents rather than one ‘correct’ version.
We are looking for:
September 2018 – July 2019
- ESOL teacher(s) to run weekly mixed level beginners’ classes in Bethnal Green
- ESOL volunteer teaching assistants to assist our teachers – chatting with students, helping lead activities, photocopying etc – in Bethnal Green, Croydon and East Dulwich
- volunteer Trustees to join our small & friendly trustee board, helping to run Babel’s and make sure we live up to our aims and values. This involves meetings every 3 months and staying in regular contact with the Project Coordinator. We are especially interested in trustees who have experience/knowledge in the following areas:
- Registering a charity or CIO
- Writing successful grant applications
- Language teaching
- Personal experience of migration/asylum seeking
September 2018 – April 2019
- Kurdish teacher to run a weekly adult beginners’ class
- British Sign Language teacher to run a weekly adult beginners’ class
We want to work with people who are committed, imaginative, collaborative.
Teachers should have experience teaching groups of adults, and interest/experience in participatory teaching practice. Qualifications and DBS checks are a bonus. We pay above London Living Wage, wages for 2018-19 will be in the range of £16-£18 per hour.
Volunteers should be confident, friendly, empathic people who are interested in supporting migrants and asylum seekers. You will need a good level of spoken English but you do NOT need to be a native speaker or have British citizenship! We may be able to cover your travel expenses if necessary.
Become part of an organisation working to change the face of language teaching!
To apply, please email email@example.com with your CV and/or a description of any relevant experience you have. We would like to meet potential new team members at our next team meeting in the evening of Tuesday 11th September 2018.